Heavy flood forces thousands of Bor residents out of their homes
Heavy floods have forced thousands of residents in the town of Bor in Jonglei State to leave their homes amid harsh humanitarian conditions.
Thousands of people in Hai Muchuor, Hai Fangak, Lekyak, Nigel and Malou have been displaced after a dyke built to control the overflow of Nile River waters broke into parts on Tuesday last week.
Several residents interviewed by Radio Tamazuj appealed for assistance after the floods destroyed their homes and livelihoods.
“We left our home in Hai Fangak because of floods. In this school now, there are more than 20 people in a classroom, some just sleep in the open. Our immediate needs are latrines and shelter,” said Angeth Deng, a displaced resident.
A resident, who only identified herself as Suzana, said floods started in Hai Muchuor.
“I have moved to the roundabout. There is no food for my children,” she said.
Akello Daniel, a displaced resident, called for humanitarian intervention after he left behind all his belongings due to the floods.
“We are suffering. We need food, mosquito nets, shelter and utensils. The government and well-wishers should help. They said people should not be crowded places because of COVID-19, but there is nothing we can do. We have been left vulnerable,” he said.
Meanwhile, John Makuei, the Achengdiir area chief, called on the government to protect them as they relocate to higher ground. He said residents have been living in the open since February.
Dr. Samuel Majur, the Director-General in the state Health ministry, appealed for help saying they have run out of life-saving drugs.
“The hospital has no drugs. In Bor, there is an influx of the displaced due to floods and conflicts. We receive about 500 patients daily,” he said.
For his part, Paul Monykuer, the acting mayor of Bor town, said the broken dyke has led to the increase in water levels in parts of Bor.
“Local youth with support from UNMISS fixed the dyke, but the water level keeps increasing as the dyke keeps breaking into different parts. So far, on the side of Hai Fangak and Hai Muchuor alone, 55,000 homes have collapsed,” he explained.
Peter Mayen Majongdit, the National Minister for Humanitarian Affairs, said they are working with the relevant authorities to avert the looming humanitarian crisis in Jonglei.
“Basically, we are working with the Water Resources and Roads ministry to fix these challenges of the dykes. We are also working on prevention and early warning,” he said.
Last month, South Sudan’s Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (RRC) warned that more than 400,000 people displaced by floods and conflict could face serious food shortages if not supported.